Wednesday, June 3, 2009

More Work






Here is some more work my Senior Thesis, (from September '08 through right before I graduated.) These pieces are from a body of work titled "The Preservation of Heritage," I'll give you the abbreviated artist's statement:

These pieces reflect my interest in Family and Heritage themes. I have been using old family photos and photographs that I’ve taken myself that I feel represent some aspect of my family life or my experiences growing up and using them in small pieces usually on wood, canvas or panel. I use my family’s snapshots because I find interest in forgotten people and events; this holds an element of mystery for me. I feel like I am reclaiming part of my heritage by re-appropriating these images in my art. I use a myriad of materials, spray paint, oil paint sand, shellac, matte medium, acrylic and whatever else I can find.

I really enjoyed working on this series and will probably continue using more stuff found in the basement. I've also been meaning to root through some of my mother's old photographs since most of photographs I've used so far have been from my dad's side.

I'm going to try to get some decent images of some of the photo work I've done this year as well as images of the books I've made. Hopefully they'll be up for your viewing pleasure before long.